Wednesday, July 27, 2016

25 Weeks

25 Weeks
62 lbs
25 inches tall

Still dealing with hives, wondering about the source of the hives (I still blame the change in shampoos for the initial outbreak, and the grass pollen for the rest. DH insists it's chiggers, though he does not have the bites on his belly, or bugs between his toes that all of the websites I've read point to...), observing hair loss, waiting for hair regrowth... Monitoring the itching that has begun intermittently in recent days... I don't feel there's been any new hair loss, and the itching seems to mostly be on his sides, with the hives seeming to be recurring on the hips and flanks. I bathed him yesterday (with one of the usual shampoos) without incident. The homemade skin and coat spray I've used in the past on the other dogs has been helpful. I've also experimented with variations of that recipe, depending on what I have on hand. I'll post them all below.



Skin and Coat Spray

2 bags chamomile tea
2 c. water
1 c. apple cider vinegar
1 t. lavender oil, or dried lavender
1 t. rosemary oil, or dried rosemary

Simmer chamomile tea in water and set aside to cool (if using dried herbs, put them in to steep).
Strain tea when cooled (if using dried herbs). Add ACV (and essential oils if using those). Pour into spray bottle. Store in refrigerator. Mist (and brush through) as needed.

Variations:

I have used a combination of 2 black tea bags + 2 Twinings Lemon and Ginger tea in lieu of chamomile because I didn't have any. All other ingredients were the same. It seems to work just as well.

Also in lieu of chamomile, try 2 bags Twinings Lemon and Ginger (I bought this for colds/sore throats, but it is funk nasty!) tea, plus 1/2 c. witch hazel. 

1 comment:

  1. I need to get some rosemary oil so I can try this for Bella :)

    ReplyDelete