Thursday, September 8, 2016

31 Weeks

Healing




Unfortunately, one of the deepest punctures is right at the crown of his ridge, and we have to wait to see when/if the hair grows in and whether any scarring messes up the appearance. It isn't a huge fault, but since DH had hoped Kal would be a show dog (with me doing all of the work, which I do not want to do)... that could be a deal-breaker. I'm using rosemary essential oil mixed in Castor oil- both are supposed to be good for hair regrowth... So far, any minor wounds he's sustained due to his sister's corrections have healed up nicely... It's just a wait-and-see thing, as to whether those pink areas of new skin are going to stay or grow hair.

He still seems to be a happy puppy. He just wants to play. Meeting Mom & Dad's dog, Nala (well, it was the second time), went well. They both really, really wanted to play with each other, but we couldn't allow that, because it would risk opening up his wounds again. Maybe at Thanksgiving...

We went out-of-town for Labor Day weekend. I did ok walking Kal in the OKC neighborhood last week- I just didn't really want to. I had such anxiety about it on Saturday morning that DH walked him, instead, before we left. DH also walked him in MF, because his excitement and energy level being in a new place was just too much for me to handle along with the other two. I would have done it in shifts if he hadn't wanted to get up and accompany us (actually, he didn't even accompany us, because Kal is impossible to walk when the other dogs are all getting ahead of him due to his pulling and DH constantly stopping to make him calm down before he takes another step). I would have taken Kal with Mom, Dad and Nala (and Little Sis' dachshund, Murphy), and then taken the girls by ourselves later.

Walking in the neighborhood once we returned to OK has been ok, just not something I want to do, anymore. I'm avoiding the street where it happened, but walking down a different street, although it's always been much quieter, with fewer dogs, still gives me some anxiety. A sweet friend sent me a care package with pepper spray this week, so I've got that, and it does help.

Today some dumb lady blew through the all-way stop at the street that goes right through the park, just as we were in the crosswalk. OKC has a bunch of idiot drivers. Nobody seems to know that pedestrians have the right-of-way, and things like that. I swear, taking Driver's Ed out of schools and allowing parents to instruct their own kids means a lot of pertinent info gets left out, because the dang parents don't even know the rules of the road or how to operate a motor vehicle properly.

I'm still jumpy whenever Kansas or Airlie corrects Kal. It's not unwarranted, or excessive, but I'm not handling it well, mostly because it startles me, and because I worry they'll put yet another hole in him...

No comments:

Post a Comment